Five Year Prediction For The Planet Means Creating Green Offices Is Vital

Scientists have stated that Earth has a 48% chance of meeting the 1.5C global warming warning zone in the next five years. These levels of warming are, however, predicted to be temporary. With more and more green companies and businesses emerging, there are hopes that we can prevent climate change.

The UK’s Meteorological Office also predicts a 93% chance that the world will experience the hottest year on record by the end of 2026. On top of this, the next five years between 2022 and 2026 will be the hottest on record.

The Path To Destruction

The effects of global warming have already surfaced. Since the late 1800s, global temperatures have increased by 1.1C. In the last ten years, natural disasters have been on the rise. Devastating wildfires have wreaked havoc in America and Australia, laying waste to essential ecosystems and threatening wildlife populations.

It is not just animals and plant life that have felt the effects of the world’s changing climate. In 2021, record rainfall in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Luxembourg caused historic floods which claimed the lives of at least 120 people.

Unfortunately, this is a pattern that is projected to be exacerbated by increasing temperatures. The American and European southwest will be drier than usual in the next five years. At the same time, wetter than normal conditions will affect Africa’s Sahel region, northern Europe, Brazil and Australia. Worryingly the Arctic will get warmer during the winter at three times the speed of the rest of the world.

However, not all is lost. While there is a 48% chance that we will breach the temperature warning zone, there is still a 52% chance we might be able to do what is necessary. There is still time for us to reverse our impact on the planet. If we act now to fix our mistakes, we can tip the scales to balance in our favour.

Green Offices Give Us Hope

As the public becomes increasingly worried about the climate crisis, businesses are doing what they can to create green offices. Commercial buildings, including restaurants, shops and offices, contribute 6.6% to global greenhouse gas emissions. Meaning there is room for improvement in this sector.

Businesses have come up with innovative ways to move towards carbon neutrality over the years. Google are trailblazers in tackling this issue and have now become carbon positive. They have done this by offsetting their carbon emissions and investing in renewable energy. Other big businesses such as Microsoft and Sky have also become carbon neutral.

Carbon neutrality is an essential target for governments, businesses and citizens to aim for to help prevent climate change. Although carbon neutrality is an aspirational goal to many, there are small and simple changes to make in the meantime to create a more green office.

  1. Use recycled or sustainable stationary.
  2. Discourage the use of single-use plastics such as coffee cups, plastic bottles and takeaway food containers.
  3. Use energy-efficient lighting and heating.
  4. Make sure you recycle where you can.
  5. Go paper-free.
  6. Implement cycle and walk to work schemes.
  7. Donate to climate change charities and run fundraisers.

Why Not Take It A Step Further?

There are more significant changes that businesses can implement to make their workplaces more eco-friendly. Things such as overhauling the insulation of a building can reduce energy consumption and prove to be more economically beneficial.

Living walls

However, if you want to literally turn your office green, living walls are a fantastic form of natural insulation.

Living walls are growing in popularity across the UK, especially in towns and cities where nature is scarce. Living (or green) walls are an innovative solution to pollution that can be installed on outdoor or indoor walls. They are walls of plants that provide eco-friendly benefits and look beautiful. In addition, they have been proven to reduce noise pollution and improve insulation.

Plants also have wellbeing benefits. Employees’ mental wellbeing is boosted by 15% when their office incorporates natural elements. Plants also increase oxygen flow throughout buildings which has endless health benefits.

Rooftop Beehives

A recent phenomenon in London and other UK cities is the rise in rooftop beehives. Bees are vital in assisting plant life with pollination. Over the last century, the number of bees has declined worldwide as the expansion of cities threatens their habitats. However, the innovation of rooftop beehives has done remarkable things to help save the bees. In fact, the initiative has meant that London has the densest population of honeybees in Europe.

Remote Working

Remote or hybrid working schemes improve productivity, employee wellbeing and work-life balance. On top of this, working from home means that people no longer need to commute to work. Road vehicles such as cars and motorcycles account for nearly three-quarters of the greenhouse gas emissions that come from the transport sector.

It is estimated that a fifth of global jobs could be carried out remotely. If all of these employees worked at home at least three days per week, 80 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions could be reduced every year. This is equivalent to the entire carbon output of Chile.

This reduction in carbon emissions could be a significant step towards meeting the 2050 global carbon neutrality goal.

Want To Create A Green Office? Each Person Can Help

Each Person is dedicated to helping our clients become more eco. We are the only employee rewards and recognition platform directly aligned with fighting climate change. Through our partnership with Carbon Footprint, we plant a tree for every new user that signs up with us. With our donate function, users can choose to donate their Epoints to planting trees. Trees are critically needed to offset global carbon emissions and provide habitats to wildlife. In addition, our Ecards are a simple way to show your people you appreciate their hard work and offers a paperless alternative to greeting cards.

To find out more about Each Person and help improve your company’s perks at work, contact us at [email protected]

Give us a follow on social media so you can discover more ways to look after your people!

Linkedin: Each Person

Twitter: @_EachPerson

Instagram: @_eachperson