Several legislative changes that employers must comply with come into effect this month, including:
From 1 April:
• Enhanced parental rights under the Work and Families Act 2006 which apply where the expected week of childbirth or date of adoption is on or after 1 April 2007.
From 2 April:
• Workplaces in Northern Ireland and Wales become smoke-free under the Health Act 2006.
From 6 April:
• The Work and Families Act 2006 extends the right to request flexible working to carers of adults.
• Firms with 100 or more staff will have to consult with pension scheme members or their representatives on significant changes under the Occupational and Personal Pension Schemes (Consultations by Employers and Miscellaneous Amendment) Regulations 2006.
• Statutory sick pay will increase to £72.55 per week and statutory maternity, adoption and paternity pay will increase to £112.75 per week, or 90% of an employee’s weekly earnings if this is lower.