Number of employees working beyond state pension age has doubled since 1993

The number of older workers has nearly doubled over the past 20 years, according to a report by the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

The report found there were 1.4 million employees were working beyond the stage pension age in 2011, up significantly from the 753,000 who were doing so in 1993.

The numbers were relatively stable until 2000, but rose quickly thereafter to a peak of 1.45 million in 2010.

Employees over the state pension age are twice as likely to be working part-time (66%) than full-time (34%). For those under the state pension age, 75% worked full-time and the remaining 25% worked part-time.

Of the 1.4 million workers above state pension age in the UK in the final quarter of 2011, 39% were men and 61% were women.

Read more articles on retirement ages