As our Motivation Week, in association with Motivates, draws to a close, it is time to reflect on some of the trends and issues currently shaping this area of the benefits market.
Today’s employers are increasingly able to recognise the strong link between motivation and performance, and ultimately, the bottom line. For this reason, realising the importance of providing incentives for employees, many organisations now have motivation strategies in place.
For some employers, giving workers a direct stake in the performance of the organisation is a key aspect of their approach to motivation and engagement. However, when exploring what motivates people the most, employers must look beyond the pay packet and consider the differing needs of various segments of the workforce, and how these might be reflected in a reward strategy. It is also important to consider the role that mentoring, training and development can play in retaining and motivating staff.
Another tool which can affect motivation is gamification. Using an achievement-based approach to identifying goals, in addition to systematising recognition and reward processes, can provide a dynamic method with which to track employee progress as well as keep individuals engaged.
And, of course, employers would do well to remember that sometimes all it takes is a ‘thank you’ to make staff feel valued, appreciated and motivated.
Whatever stage you are at, and however you implement motivation strategies in your organisation, Motivation Week was designed to help take this to the next level, through exclusive insights and opinions, uncovering best practice in this area.
- How to use short-term strategies to motivate job-hoppers
- ITN uses reverse mentoring to motivate and engage younger employees
- Professor Vlatka Hlupic: Mindset and organisational culture can influence job-hopper retention
- How to motivate employees with effective gamification strategies
- Bournemouth University uses gamification to encourage healthy behavioural change
- Dr Shainaz Firfiray: How can employers promote employee motivation?
- How can creating employee stakeholders boost motivation?
- Avios Group builds staff engagement using ideas campaign
- Professor Alex Bryson: All-employee share plans increase loyalty and productivity
- Bill Alexander: There is more to work than money in the wallet