Whitbread has been awarded the best overall payroll giving campaign at the National Payroll Giving Excellence Awards 2011.
The hotel and restaurant organisation, which owns Premier Inn, Beefeater and Costa Coffee, was commended by the judges for a 20% take-up among its 35,000 employees. This was felt to be particularly impressive because of Whitbread’s transient workforce, which has a large proportion of employees on the minimum wage.
The awards, held at 11 Downing Street on 18 October, recognised excellence in payroll-giving campaigns among UK employers.
Payroll giving has seen a 7.5% increase in 2010/11 over the previous year, with some 720,000 employees donating £114 million to charitable causes through the programme.
The other winners at the National Payroll Giving Excellence Awards 2011 included:
- Inventive Leisure, bar and nightclub operator that trades as Vodka Revolution Bars – Best launch of a new scheme.
- Close Brothers Group, banking, securities and asset management firm – Best re-launch of an existing scheme.
- Whitbread – Best larger employer campaign.
- Think Money Group, provider of financial products and advice – Best small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) campaign.
- Charity Marie Curie Cancer Care – Best civil society employer campaign.
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – Best public sector employer campaign.
- Think Money Group – Best innovative promotional partnership.
Read more articles on payroll giving in the workplace